The Nokia 5800 has started to receive a firmware update, taking it from version 31.0.101 and we’re happy to say this is something a little more than a service update. Is this the update we’ve all been waiting for that will bring kinetic scrolling and the same UI as the Nokia X6 and Nokia 5530 XpressMusic? Join us after the jump to find out more about the Nokia 5800 firmware v40.0.005 update…
The Nokia 5800 has sold over eight million handsets in the 11 months it has been on-sale and in recent months owners have been getting a little vocal about updates – largely the fact that we hadn’t seen one for a while and that the device still lacked kinetic scrolling.
Check out our Nokia 5800 review
Well, the good news is that the Nokia 5800 Firmware Update Version v40.0.005 brings with it not only the much wanted/needed kinetic scrolling update but also gives users the same Homescreen that has been seen on the Nokia X6 and Nokia 5530 XpressMusic smartphones. This means you’ll be able to add up to 20 contacts using the scrolling Contact bar, as well as have a far more optimised homescreen.
We’ve not had our update yet but are waiting eagerly for it to appear. In the meantime, check out the changelog and if you’ve already received the update, let us know if you’ve noticed anything different, in the Comments below.
Nokia 5800 Firmware v40 Changelog:
* Kinetic scrolling
* Home style widget with Nokia 5530
* if you rotate the phone horizontally, it automatically activates the QWERTY keyboard
* Refresh Icons “Sharing Online”, “Configuring Accessories”, “Configure Phone”
* Improved application “Updating Applications”, which also renames Upgrade SW
* The application “Data transfer” was also implemented in “Settings”
* Real Player Updated
* Touch more responsive
* Slide to Unlock during call
* Improved stability
* New contact & music widget
* Kinetic Scrolling is not available in main menu, application menu, browser.
* Home Screen similar to that of Nokia 5530
* Removed the alphanumeric keypad in landscape version, now when we turned the phone alphanumeric portrait changes to full qwerty
* New screen alarm, but only when the screen is locked
* New screen incoming call, also only when the screen is locked
* Ovi Contacts installed
* In the settings menu there is a new icon for ‘Phone Switch’