Your Nokia Lumia 800 is packed full of funky ringtones, but after a while you might get the urge to add your own custom ringtone based on the best bits of your favourite music tracks. Though it’s not clear how to do this from the Windows Phone OS, it’s perfectly possible – and really quite simple if you follow our handy tutorial.
To get custom ringtones on your Nokia Lumia 800 you’ll need to download a piece of MP3-editing software onto your PC or Mac. Any will do, but we’ve gone with Audacity (1.3 beta) as it’s free and relatively easy to use. If you have your own editing software installed already, just skim through the first few steps, as we’re going to incorporate how to get what you need out of Audacity for those who are starting from scratch.
Also ensure that you have Microsoft’s Zune media management tool installed on the same computer (which is pretty likely if you have a Nokia Lumia 800), as well as a handful of music tracks (with no DRM restrictions) you’d like to turn into ringtones. Got everything sorted? Then we shall begin.
1. Open up Audacity and go to File>Import>Audio, then navigate to the music track you want to use for the basis of your ringtone
2. Click on the Selection Tool (the large ‘I’ symbol) at the top, then click and drag on the track timeline to highlight the section of music you want to use.
3. Press Play to preview this snippet, and manually tweak the time portion in the Selection Start and End sections at the bottom (must be 39 seconds or under).
4. Go to Edit>Remove Audio>Trim
5. Go to File>Export, and save the shortened track as an MP3 or WAV file. You might need to download an additional (free) file for MP3.
6. Go into Zune and import the track, then right click to edit and type the Genre in as Ringtone.
7. Connect your Nokia Lumia 800 and sync the track to it, either by right clicking on the track or physically dragging it onto the phone icon.
8. Go into Settings>Ringtones+sounds>Ringtone on your Nokia Lumia 800 and your track should be listed at the top under Custom.
Easy-peasy, eh? Now you can add as many new ringtones as you like based on your favourite music (or humorous home-recordings), and it won’t cost you a penny. The hardest part will be bringing yourself to answer your Nokia Lumia 800 when it starts ringing.
Check out our How to add free custom ringtones to your Nokia Lumia 800 photo gallery: